Friday, January 19, 2007

I'm in India!

Well I made it, and a pretty smooth trip all in all. I arrived in Mumbai at 11:30 am yesterday, the 18th, after 28 hours of flights and layovers, then bought a flight directly to Goa, finally arriving in Arambol at 7pm, after a total of 36 hours of travel. Surprisingly, I feel pretty good. I think those homeopathic"NO JET LAG" pills really worked. (Thanks for the tip Marilyn!)

I'm staying at the same guest house I stayed at when I was here 2 years ago, which I reserved from home just so I had a room to come to, and I actually got the exact same room even! It was weird and wonderful to enter the room and get flooded with memories from when I was here last- the squeak of the fan, the swirly plastic toilet bucket, the view of the palm trees from the bathroom window. I slept pretty soundly, with the earplugs- I had forgotten about that sqeaky fan.

This morning I attended the first day of the 5 day yoga class that I am here for (a nice way to acclimatize and relax into the journey I figure- yoga with a fantastic, Iyengar style teacher-his website is www.hiyogacentre.com.) I must say that I'm happy to be here, although it was hard to leave my cozy home in Nelson last week and it tugs at my heart a little bit still. Oh the bittersweetness of traveling. Most of all it's the smell of the air that really makes me feel like I am here... dusty, humid, manky, fruity... the occasional whiff of poo, nescafe, flowers, pollution, petrol exhaust, and watermelon perfume. Yum yum India!

More soon...

No comments: